Coming down to Bangalore after a great win at the Boston marathon, and a 27:24 10K at Ottawa a week earlier, Deriba Merga of Ethiopia won the 2nd edition of the Sunfeast World 10K run in Bangalore on May 31st. Merga won in 28:13. Kenyan Mark Kiptoo was second in 28:15 while fellow Kenyan Bernard Kipyego was third in 28:24. The event saw a total of 23,000 runners taking part in the various runs on the day. The weather was reported to be better than last year, and the early start this year also helped, though last year’s course record was not broken.
(Photo courtesy: potogeek @ flickr)
In the womens elite run it was a close contest where just a second separated winner Ethiopian Mergia Asslefech (32:08) and first runner Mary Keitany of Kenya (32:09) while Ethiopia’s Aberu Kebede was third in 32:11.
Overall results (courtesy IAAF):
1. Deriba Merga (Ethiopia) 28:13
2. Mark Kiptoo (Kenya) 28:15
3. Bernard Kipyego (Kenya) 28:24
4. Wilson Kipsang (Kenya) 28:30
5. Dino Sefir (Ethiopia) 28:39
6. Fabiano Joseph (Tanzania) 28:49
7. Dejere Tadessa (Ethiopia) 28:55
8. Dechase Chala (Ethiopia) 29:00
9. John Wambua (Kenya) 29:08
10. Ezekiel Cherop (Kenya) 29:24
1. Aselefech Mergia (Ethiopia) 32:08
2. Mary Keitany (Kenya) 32:09
3. Aberu Kebede (Ethiopia) 32:11
4. Hilda Kibet (Holland) 32:22
5. Meseret Mengistu (Ethiopia) 32:26
6. Peninah Arusei (Kenya) 32:27
7. Workitu Ayanu (Ethiopia) 32:36
8. Sally Barsosio (Kenya) 33:07
9. Atsede Baysa (Ethiopia) 33:14
10. Zakia Mrishko (Tanzania) 33:47
Indian Performance at World 10K: None of the Indian runners, men and women, finished in the top 10, mostly occupying the 15-20 slots, and were about 2 minutes off the timing of race winners. Thats a big deal for a 10K.
- Sandeep Kumar (Uttar Pradesh) 30:02
- Kashinath Aswale 30:08
- Santosh Kumar (Railways) 30:13
- Kavita Raut (Maharashtra) 34:32
- Preeja Sreedharan 34:40
- Preethi L Rao 35:21
Some of my fellow runner/bloggers ran too, and below are their race reports.